Pictures from the air of Gulfport and Biloxi areas

While almost all of the attention has been on New Orleans, the fact is that hurricane Katrina (thankfully) turned and didn’t hit the city directly. While this was fortunate for the 100,000 residents stranded in the city, it didn’t bode well for those in the other cities and towns along the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and Alabama. They took a direct hit, and it’s important that we don’t forget about them.

These pictures were sent in by a reader who works with the spouse of the photographer, who is in the Air Force Reserve. They were taken very recently, perhaps yesterday. Click each for a larger view. And if I’ve screwed up locations or place names, let me know and I’ll fix it. (I’ve only driven through the area once. On I-10. At night. I’m going totally off of Google Earth, here.)

Cell tower, though it quite possibly doesn’t have power. Seems to me that the priority would be to get cell phones going over land lines. UPDATE: A commenter points out that cell towers use land lines to communicate with the rest of the world. That’s absolutely true. Still, it seems that focusing on the part of the network that supports cell systems should be the priority, leaving the rest of the landlines for later. MORE: See comments by RedLion and TANSTAAFL below for more on this and why satellite is probably the way to go in a situation like this.

I think this is the Bay Saint Louis Bridge (Hwy 90).

More of the same bridge. I think that’s Mallini Point beyond the wreckage (well, remains) of the bridge.

We’ve seen a lot of bridges looking like this. That’s a big part of why getting relief supplies delivered isn’t happening as quickly as everyone would like.

The devastation is TOTAL along that road. I can’t figure out exactly where it is, but it’s between the Bay Saint Louis Bridge and Pass Christian somewhere.

This looks to be along the shore over Hwy 90 entering Pass Christian.

Above the empty marina looking at what’s left of downtown Pass Christian.

(Here’s a Google Earth shot of the marina area in happier times)

A better view of the devastation in Pass Christian from above the eastern edge of the marina.

Running left-right about a third of the way up this pic is a line of debris. Is that the high-water mark? This is east of Pass Christian in a section of Mississippi that Google Earth doesn’t have high-res imagery of.

This is approaching Long Beach, east of Pass Christian. The high-water line continues.

In this one the contrast between conditions above and below the “line” is stark.

Same thing here. It appears that everything below the line was pounded to matchsticks, while buildings above the line are, superficially at least, in decent condition.

More of the same. While New Orleans was flooded after the levee broke, this area shows the results of a direct hit.

I think this is the K-Mart in Gulfport. It looks like the water blew the walls away and washed out the interior, but the main supports kept the roof up. Compare to the Google Earth shot below.

Just look at that debris. I don’t know if those are railroad cars or ocean containers tossed around, but they’re all over. As far as I can tell from Google Earth, that red rectangular thing in the debris line at the right doesn’t belong there. Maybe a barge washed up there? UPDATE: Those cargo containers are actually banana trucks. Gulfport is the largest banana seaport in North America.

Speaking of “washed up there”, the big thing with the blue roof sitting on Hwy 90 is the Floating Grand Casino. Check out the tennis courts beyond for a sense of scale. UPDATE: It’s actually Casino Magic on Hwy 90, not the Floating Grand Casino. Okay, I guess it is the Grand Casino.

This is a shot of where the casino belongs. I believe it’s the unit on the far left of the complex.

How’s that for a shot of the line between ‘damaged’ and ‘obliterated’?

This is the Treasure Bay Casino resort. The floating ship didn’t get too far, thankfully.

Another shot. This spot (a bit east of the previous pics) doesn’t seem to have much of a debris line or a swath of total destruction inland beyond the highway.

This is in Biloxi. That’s destruction. Unfortunately, Google Earth doesn’t have high-res images of Biloxi. It appears that it was cloudy the day the pics were taken, as high-res images bordering the city show clouds and shadows. UPDATE: A commenter tells me that the collapsed building in the foreground is the new Hard Rock Cafe Casino, which was to have its grand opening this month.

This is Highway 90 east of Biloxi. No relief coming that way.

The bridge still standing is a railway. While that might not be particularly useful immediately, if it’s still good to go it will be a blessing in the months to come.

It looks like that boat was just picked up and put down there.

If anyone has additional info on the subject of these pics, put it up on the comments sections.

UPDATE: Welcome Instapundit readers. That reminds me that I meant to mention here at the end of this post to be sure and check out the great summary of charities at Instapundit and donate a few (or a lot of) bucks if you can.

Comments

• the snob says:

Nitpick- are you sure this wasn’t from the Civil Air Patrol, which is the US Air Force *auxiliary* which is a civilian organization. The plane appears to be a Cessna 172 or 182 which is typical CAP equipment.

snob: I don’t know. I was told by the reader, who works with the photographer’s wife, that he’s in the Air Force Reserve. Certainly possible, though.

• Thanks to you for posting, and thanks to glenn for the steer in this direction. There’s nothing in MSM about this area, and I’ve wondered what happened there. Thanks.

• Drew Kelley says:

The ‘high water line’ you refer to is the old L&N rail line that serves this section of the Gulf Coast. It has been reported elsewhere that between the beach and the rail line almost everything is gone – these pix confirm that.

• Watcher says:

The Hi-Res photos of the post-Katrina damage that Google doesn’t yet have are all on the NOAA server. Go here: http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

• Mike Underhill says:

Than you Murdoc for showing us those pictures of my home town area, and thank you again of reminding people about where the storm actually made landfall instead of where all the news they are showing the public. I returned to Waveland last week to sign the survey that the Fema rep, I registered with had taken of my less than two year’s old home me and my family built in waveland only a mile from the beach. it was destroyed like so many other homes many of which were many more miles north from the beach where we call it ‘Ground Zero’ where katrina made land fall in Mississippi. Our loss was 95% to a survey that said we still had a foundation, many other residents lost that because of building so close to the beach. our loss was in our minds was a total loss, we left early before the mandatory evacuations. we packed light due to running from three other storms this year that never left that much damage, we learned we should have packed heavey due to our loss. will we rebuild? we dont know since we are still swimming in all the images we are still seeing and yet to have faced. we were glad we have insurance but are still faced with yet to receive anything. thank you again for giving the folks out there a small sight of reallity of what ‘Ground Zero’ actually looks like. Sincerely The Underhills, Waveland, Mississippi.

• Eric Anondson says:

In your ‘This is Biloxi. That’s destruction.’ picture, the building collapsed into the ocean is the Hard Rock Cafe casino. It was slated for its grand opening not long after Katrina hit.

• Graves says:

Above there is reference to cargo containers. This is in the message which starts ‘Just look at that debris. I don’t know if those are railroad cars or ocean containers tossed around.’ That picture is pretty close to my Dad’s house, which survived BTW even though it is south of the RR tracks. Those are banana trucks. They kept hundreds of reefers there to support the port, the biggest source of bananas in north america. Again, my Dad’s place was the only one on his street that didn’t have one in his yard. I, OTOH, am up at Shelby doing hurricane relief operations. I’m told my house took very minor damage.

• Note your remark about cell towers. Cell towers communicate by way of landline — mostly fiber optics — with the rest of the world. Cell towers do not commuicate with each other over the air. For this reason, getting the local terrestrial network up is essential for restoring cell service. When Pensacola was taken out last year, the cell company’s showed with up convoys of generators and propane tanks. They planted only sites that had landlines.

• Tim Brubaker says:

I’ve been on the ground in MS/LA since 8/30 and have seen the same destruction up close in Diamondhead (east of Bay St. Louis and on the back of St. Louis Bay) and Waveland. It is truly slabs and splinters south of the CSX tracks, very few standing structures. Not everyone chose to leave in Diamondhead and the cadaver dogs and handlers were in there the day I drove through with the acting mayor. I’m part of the crew that AT&T sent here with 5 of their satellite vans to provide coms for State Patrol, Nat’l Guard, temporary jail etc. New Orleans, where I’m positioned now for the last four days, stinks from sewage and rotting food, but the MS coast was simply wiped out as your pictures show. Thanks for the birds-eye view.

• RedLion says:

‘Seems to me that the priority would be to get cell phones going over land lines.’ I’m a senior switch engineer tasked with the implimentation of the E911 cell phone location system overlay. As such, I’m no expert in how exactly the cell system works in minutia. However, I can tell you that your cell traffic does mostly ride through land line conduits (which are leased from SBC or Cincy Bell or Bell South, or whomever). Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, cell traffic doesn’t hop from tower to tower to tower until it reaches its destination. Granted, many cell service providers use microwave shots here and there — and in some states microwave is used with astonishing frequency — but for the most part, the only time your call isn’t riding traditional land line carriers’ copper/fiber is when your handset is sending to or receiving from the tower. Can we develop and deploy small cell transceivers (nanotowers) which could be plugged into and powered by a land line RJ11 connection in, say, a public phone booth? Sure, we can probably make that happen. We’ve done something quite similar with wireless computer networks. The difficult part is in assuming the power grid is still supporting the traditional carriers and that the traditional carriers themselves haven’t been put out of operation by water inundation. Unfortunately, the first problem is that, as far as I know, no such nanotower devices exist. As to the survivability of the power grid, I won’t pretend to know anything about it. The third problem poses several aspects, one of which is that as currently deployed, the laser shots are at most 30 miles, so considering the area involved in the hurricane’s path of devastation, I seriously doubt enough intermediate communications sites are undamaged. I’d say the most reliable technology under such circumstances is satellite. Two considerations that immediately come to mind here are bandwith and cost. You might check the cost of a satellite-capable handset and the subscription fees — unbelieveably expensive! Now multiply that by the thousands or even tens of thousands of handsets that’d be in use during such an emergency (forget not that the MSM uses this technology to air on-scene reports). Is there bandwidth available? I don’t know; I’m only passingly familiar with the technology. Can we afford it? I don’t know that either. What I do know is that what you expect should happen — ‘…get[ting] cell phones going over land lines’ — won’t happen. Can we harden the communications systems such that they easily survive such disasters? As Steven Den Beste has had to say all too many times, ‘Can we do it? Yes, but do we want to?’ Are people willing to pay sixty bucks a minute to cover the cost of such an infrastructure? I doubt it. The urgency was not to save property, but to save lives. Were there no lives in danger, the communications problem would have been mere nuisance. The real issue was that plans were made, but not followed; NOLA’s mayor feared lawsuits more than hurricanes. How can a population guard against that?

• TANSTAAFL says:

RedLion’s comments are pretty much on the mark. I did some comm system design some years ago. Normally commercial systems have fairly strong (and growing) economic limits to how much robustness they can afford to design in and operate. There are some stop gap options, for example you might put ‘cell towers’ into a few C-130s that, flying at say 20,000 feet, could provide a fairly large footprint. Coupled with software that gave priority to first reponder cellphone, one might be able to provide at least some communication within 24 hours. Would also probaly need 2-3 air-transportable ground stations for the link between the aircraft and the general telephone network. With a small squadron of 4-6 such aircraft, with mid-air refueling capacity, it would be a start. Probably a couple of billion initial investment, and a hundred million a year to operate. Of course, if the disaster is a nuke instead of a hurricane, EMP is going to give you real problems. TANSTAAFL

• Frammel says:

Both the prior posts suggest ways to get cell systems operating ‘on network’ in an emergency. There’s a third, less elegant, method using a stand-alone, truck mounted mobile site. You’d have to fall back to the old days of operator-assisted calls for 911, but you’d be able to get a rudimentary form of mobile-to-mobile coverage in operation pretty quickly. The two reasons land-line access is needed are for communication with the ‘wired’ world, and for control information for each site’s transmitters. The first isn’t immediately necessary as long as someone at the local public safety office has a cell phone, and the second isn’t necessary as long as the portable site is the only one working. You’d have to park it on the highest hill in town, run it on generator, and staff it… but you’d get coms. back quite quickly.

• In photo 17, those are cargo-ship containers. each one is about 40 feet long. In photo 18, the blue-roofed building is Casino Magic – it doesn’t belong there. It’s usually moored in the water; it’s sitting ON TOP OF Highway 90 in the picture. The yellow building on the far right is the Grand Casino.

• Big Al says:

The one method of communication that in the end you will find were the first on line , is ham radio. The bandwith is narrow on the short wave bands where they are operating, so it is emergency traffic only and not all hams are set up for emergency communications. There are however hams that are part of national emergency networks, well experenced in routing messages. You will find the amatuer radio bands full of these people, operating as we speek (or write)

• AST says:

Your blog isn’t showing the photos with Mozilla. Not that you should care, but it might be well to warn visitors at the top. Mozilla is supposed to be fully standards compliant, but it isn’t fully Microsoft IE compliant. Death to monopolies.

• Nicholas says:

Hmm, I’m using Mozilla and I can see the photos…

• Ken says:

Ummm… I’m using Firefox on Linux and I can see the photos.

• TM Lutas says:

GSM ‘nanotowers’ do exist. They’re called picocells in the trade. G3/CDMA picocells seem to be in development but not out in the market. Steve Den Beste and I tangled over the possibility of such things after 9/11 in an exchange on his blog and mine as well as correspondance. I just wrote to him a couple of weeks ago with the ip.access address and he says he’ll believe it when he sees it out for CDMA. He’s got a point. The technology, at best, is very green for G3 and GSM *is* a dead end because of its use of TDMA.

• Dick Stanford says:

That is the Grand Casino. NOT Casino Magic in the photo with the Y shaped hotel building. I think it’s the children’s area. Thanks for the updates & photos.

• Robert MacDowell says:

See the ‘intact’ part of the bridge in the fourth picture? And the piers guiding boats under it? That looks to me like a drawbridge. Stuck in the closed position. Closing the channel. Not good. Near the bottom you show an ‘intact’ railroad bridge amongst wrecked highway bridges. That railroad bridge was built by a private corporation who built it well because they couldn’t afford to build it twice :-) Ah, but if our highway commissions were so parsimonious. But look at the end of the bridge – the grading’s all wrong and while the resolution is marginal, I see no track, on approaches or on bridge. They shouldn’t be surprised if their track was blown off and is on the bottom of the lake bed, like Norfolk Southern’s on the otherwise intact Lake Pontchartrain bridge. NS fished the track out of the lake and reballasted it, and it’s open now. Because this line parallels the Gulf Coast, CSX took it a lot harder, they have some bridges out. http://www.trains.com has daily news on the subject. They’ll be lucky to reopen in September. This is keeping Amtrak’s Sunset Limited trapped west of New Orleans.

• Fiona says:

Thank you so much – I have been looking for pictures of the Gulf coast. Our daughter was stationed at Keesler AFB and rented an apartment in Gulfport for a while – (she’s stationed elsewhere now – whew). The airbase was buttoned down and evacuated by all but essential personnel, but suffered damage, including the hospital. I understand it took 2 days to clear the runways in order to bring in supplies. That small bit of information was the ONLY thing I saw in the media about the airbase, so I went to the website, where I found out that everyone’s pets were fine in the facility on base. I guess the old story is true – ‘news is what happens where the reporters are’.

• DANEgerus says:

So nice of you to comment, linked & blogrolled ya… A couple of dozen of the hits to this page today actually came from my work place and based on the ‘Oooos’ and ‘Ahhhs’ coming from the cube farm you made me a hit. ;)

• Wanda says:

We only saw one news blurb about the ‘Seabees’ who are stationed at the base in Gulfport. Hoping to hear info in the regular newscasts about them was almost useless, but my husband(USNRET E-8) got a couple of updates from the OIC there via newsletters. The base took care of its own and mandatory evacuation of personnel and their families to onbase shelters kept them safe and sound. Since it is a Federal Compound I didn’t expect to see any arial or ground photos of the base, but one can always hope. I also would like to know about the damage/ destruction to the Ante(sp)Bellum homes that were located along the coastal waterway. I only got to see them once, but it is sad to think they are probably no longer in existence. They are/were pieces of history. Why has no one even mentioned them?

• Walter says:

That blue-roofed building in the middle of Hwy 90 I’m pretty sure is Kid’s Quest, which is part of the Grand Casino in Gulfport, not Biloxi. Also, if that is a K-Mart in the 15th photo it is in Long Beach, not Gulfport. The Gulfport K-Marts are on Pass Road and Cowan (well north of the beach) and Hwy 49 in North Gulfport (even further north). Since your photos all appear to be going west-to-east that would make sense.

• Walter says:

Wanda, The Seabees are well north of where the water line was so I’m sure it didn’t get much damage. Perhaps that is why there have been no photos of it – not enough drama. I haven’t been to Hwy 90 yet, so I don’t know if all those old homes are gone, but I’m afraid they are. I know several people who had homes in that area and they were all destroyed. One person I know whose family owned a lot of real estate down there lost every single house – something like 13 I believe. New Orleans got a lot of flooding, but the MS coast took this storm in the teeth.

• Thanks for the pictures. I’m going down in a few weeks for disaster relief. I’m bracing for culture shock.

• KS says:

Check your Firefox settings: Tools, Options, Webfeatures, Load Images (checked), and if you want pictures from referring sites, uncheck ‘for local sites only’

• Tony says:

back from on ground East Biloxi, where the Vietnamese community is totally destroyed, and languishes without power, phones, or communications ((1,000+/-). Red Cross and FEMA having difficult due to language barriers. Need communications if anyone has ability to AM broadcast to area.

Robert: That’s an interesting point about the tracks themselves being blown off the rail bridge. I hadn’t heard that about the Norfolk Southern bridge. I had trouble at first figuring out what the bridge was, as I didn’t see the rails. I finally decided that they just didn’t show up at this resolution. It never occurred to me that they were GONE.

If anyone wants to contact Tony about AM communications in the East Biloxi area, contact me at mofeedback@sbcglobal.net

• Heather says:

My family vacationed in Pass Christian 3 weeks before Katrina hit, thanx for the photos. I took my 8 yo son to the Oceanarium in Gulfport and loved it, what happened to it, are there any photos, I have not been able to find out any info to speak of about the park and the animals.

• JAMES HOLLAND says:

REG. HEATHER & AQUARIUM I’M NOT CERTAIN WHETHER THIS IS THE SAME PLACE. HOWEVER I READ A NEWS ITEM THAT ALL OF THE ANIMALS WERE EVACUATED EXCEPT FOR THE DOLPHINS AND WALRUSES. THEY WERE LEFT BECAUSE IT WAS FELT THAT THE TANKS COULD SUVIVE THE STORM. THEY DID NOT. I HAVE HEARD NO WORD ON THE WALRUSES HOWEVER ALL EIGHT PORPOSES WERE LOCATED AT SEA. TWO HAVE BEEN RECOVERED AND EFFORTS WERE UNDER WAY TO RETRIEVE THE OTHERS. ALL OF THE ANIMALS WERE APEARENTLY OVERJOYED TO SEE THERE HANDLERS. THE ONLY DIFFICULTY WAS TEACHING THEM TO SWIM INTO THE RETRIEVAL MAT. I HOPE THEY ARE ALL WELL

• Mike Underhill says:

Dam guess were gonna have to get used to all these Hurricains coming in and destroying our lives and our property which is material stuff, I lost it all, including a sixteen month home and full of new contents about $190,000.00 total value. we me and two other people in an eighty unit subdivission had both flood and a deluxe hurricain policys, everyone eles had basic insurance. I cant Immagin the feelings of greif all those and other gulf coast residents that were told they did’nt live in a flood zone were’nt required to have flood insurance. and never got it for peice of mind, I got it because my last home was destroyed in a non flood zone, and it was a flooded and I did not have it. what I’ve found out is you can never be insured enough especially since my home was flooded and after the storm receeded the house was looted after wards. please people remember to get that extra coverage now and don’t forget to read between the lines when shopping for that policy, one of the policys I have exculudes me from alot of extra coverage I thought I had. remember the bold highlighted words are designed to screw you out of alotta bucks, I thought you just got a policy and be covered, not true you’ll need too do is sit down and read what it say’s about what you’ll need to do in case you need to claim for lost items and damage to your property. remember taking too many pictures of your stuff and saving it to a disk you can take with you when you’ve evacuated. will save you a hundreds of thousands times over because its your proof you had what you say or said on your twenty page claim form your gonna have to fill out before submitting for a claim! oh! and they want it all, dates when bought, how old it was, how much it would cost, where it was purchased, depreciation, ect. some policy’s are designed like mine to upgrade to deluxe verssions where you can get the contents of freezers and refrigerators covered in the event of lost power, and extra coverage for property like personal watercraft like that jet ski I had in the back yard chained to the the house which misteriosly disappeared after someone cut the chain with bolt cutters and stold it from my property. I did have extra coverage for it that I purchased two months ago thank god! and remeber most policys dont go into effect until 30 days after you have paid the first premium. just cause you signed the dotted line dont mean your covered, 30 days after the check cleared the bank is when your policy becomes active. remember if you have to claim because of damages and lost or stolen looted property, bring a camera and be prepared to take lots of pictures, inside those cabinettes, inside those drawers, all those hidden crawl spaces that stuff you called junk from cable wires to hook up dvd’s to old connectors and old cloths are still very valuable property you’ll need to list. try in your mind how your going to come up with 65,000.00 worth off contents on a list with out forgetting anything, because forgetting this stuff is lost dollars on your policy. dont settle for less and you’ll never have to be in a hurry, you got in most cases up to 60 days to report the claim and supply the correct info. also dont be fooled by your claim representative by their actions, my rep keeps calling me and saying they need that list so they come to a conclussion and send me my check. personally i need to takle my time and do it right, also dont take a down payment on your stuff or sign any thing untill they decided to pay the whole amount because those insurance ajusters are taught to keep you from getting to much from their company, what you get is less what they get, so dont be baggered into giving up to soon! I guess I over did it, but I’m gonna get my money’s worth for not being stupid! my wife always said I over exsplained it. but now she’s glad since it shows to also have some responsability in protecting your assets or shall I say your ass! It will help you out in the long run, to keep records and proof of what you own. they will give only so much for what they dont see when they survey your property, then they’ll try to prove you did’nt have it on your property. and that my friend is when all those pictures of what you had becomes your alli, your pudding, your proof, and their loss. Good Luck and thank you for reading this long and very valuable Post Sincerely Big Mike

• Mike Underhill says:

Also if you need to see more damage at a different level their are to other places you can veiw, 1 is wlox.com biloxi’s news station has some footage that can be veiwed on your computers real player and is great stuff, also SunHearald news paper has some more pictures of the ravaged Hancock County and beyond. the other stuf can be veiwed at NOAA.com which are aireal shots or satilite pics of different zones affected by katrina. Sincerely Big Mike

• Thanks for posting these pictures. I went to school in Mobile and have friends who live all up and down the gulf coast from Pensacola to Baton Rouge. Up to now I have been principally worried about those who lived in New Orleans because they could not or were not communicating with their friends. I had figured that all they had to do was move up or down the coast to get a message out. Wrong! These photos are far more frightening than what I have seen before but explain why it has been so difficult to hear from the friends who live in the region. Having been down there for Frederick in ’79 I understand that telephone and electric service will take a while. But I did want to say to George Z., Marsha R., Bart K., Esther S. and Fiance Rick, Rob M & Mary A., Debbie and Pam G., and any other Badgers from the Hill please either leave a message on my blog as to your whereabouts or on the school alumni board. There are quite a few people trying to figure out where you are and how you are surviving, especially the location of the individual of the one individual who is vertically challenged and whose employer was reported to be washed away in the news. Click Here to report your whereabouts To make up for wasting other people’s time reading this very personal plea, the link also tell you how to get a phone call by the Beach Boys Brian Wilson if you donate $100 by 10/1 to a very specific Wilson fan website. That is, sorry for the link, but it is the only way to give my friends an easy way to reach me. Pete ’80, Chicago

• Charles Smith says:

I think what u r doing is great not enough people are talking about the gulf coast all we here about in AR is N. O. LA. So Keep Up The Good Work and give youself a pat on the back from people who want to see real pics of the storms destruction.

• Jennifer says:

thanks for the pics. I live about 150 miles inland & haven’t been able to go down there and see for myself. My family (grandma, uncles, aunts, cousins) are in Gulfport-Biloxi. Thank goodness they are alive after staying in their homes through the storm!

• Lois says:

I believe the K Mart shown in the photo is the one in Long Beach and not Gulfport because if you look in the background in the center you’ll see a large building complex with a red roof. The Long Beach Middle School also has a red roof.

• Lois says:

OOOPS…Maybe it’s a green roof! Anyway if this photo was taken on Hgy. 90…then I don’t know of a K Mart on 90 in Gulfport.

• bhead says:

Just this week got my cable and internet service up and running and found site. My family and many neighbors rode out the storm in our homes as we live a mile or so from the beach. There are no words to describe the devestation MS bore, not only on the beach but inland also because of the unrelenting wind, which lasted 12 hours. I personally know of no one who survived unscathed. Early Tuesday, the 30th, we began cutting our way out because we live on a 3 block dead end road. Traveling by 4 wheelers, we rode through our neighborhood and thankfully those who stayed were battered but alive. I cannot begin to relate what these last 2 months have been like. I work for the City of Gulfport (PD) and was required to return to work ASAP, of coarse not in our regular office, which was destroyed. Anyway, my main reason for posting this is to let you know that our beloved SEABEEs were hard at work immediatly after Katrina clearing our roadways. They are active in our communities and we are forever indebted to them. God bless each and every serviceman here and beyound our boarders. In closing let me also thank everyone who has come to our aid and helped us up off the ground. The spirit of the MS people was bruised by Katrina but it was not killed. To be reduced to needing only the basics for survival gives a whole new meaning to ‘possessions’ and I for one am thankful for every thought and prayer and relief effort from around the world. A terrible natural disaster has brought out the ultimate best in mankind. Progress is slow, but it is progress. Thanks again to all.

• mark anderson says:

certainly a totall loss is my grandparents house located at 318 livingston drive at henderson point of which my mother is an heir along with her maternal siblings consisting of Byron Ashford, Lee Price Ashford, Sue Byron Ashford Anderson, and the late but never forgotten ANNA VIRGINIA ASHFORD PRICE ASHFORD, all heirs and family of JOHN AND LUCY KOVACE John Kovace was the father of Joan Patty and Jenny Kovace grandpa John who was my step grandfather published this week on the misssissippi gulf coast from the time of its inception to a time in my teenage years that i cannot accurately put a finger on at this point in my life but i will certainly recall at some near time in the future due to the fact that i am currently studying the situation at hand and wish to gather all of the information that i can on the subject if you have any info please let me know i am very interested as i am deeply rooted there and have lots of fond memories to share if you know tocas and got some green apple gum from there then let me know and if my grandmother Lucy Kovace gave you piano lessons then we might be two lost souls livin in a fish bowl

• mark anderson says:

ahh how i bask in the memories of my wonderful vacations to pass christian where my grandparents lived my mother and her siblings lived the greater part of their tennage years there grandpa john had a print shop which was located south of the hwy 90 hump bridge just as u made the turn off of the beach it was to the left where the big fancy pants condos were or are still partially th ere and cammille totally annihalated all that they had there but there new house located at 318 livingston drive made it through although the roof was blown caddywampus but Katrina had her way with it and it is now a heap although a heap sounds bad at least the heap is still there to forage through most houses in the area are gone only a slab remains my friend recently visited the heap and recovered some things that i find to be of sentimental value and there is a heap to explore so in an instance of evaluation i feel better but not undistressed by the loss of all who bore the brunt of katrina,lost but not forgotten

• paul meacham says:

I simply cannot beleive what i am seeing and what i am not seeing.Is it me or has Bush suceeded in puting us katrina victims on the back burner? From what I see,he has done exactly that.He doesnt want to deal with us.He cant get his head out of the oil, oops, I mean the war he created.There are thousands of fema campers sitting empty on the gulf coast,and NO ONE AT FEMA can tell us why. Matter of fact, NO ONE AT FEMA OR ANYWHERE ELSE can give us any answers.Shame on you Gerrge Bush, shame on 99% of the news media for all but forgetting about us katrina victims. God bless our men and women in uniform. Dear God, keep your hand on them, and bring them home now, for they are dead men and women walking! I am a skilled tradesman who lost my home, business, some of my friends and customers and thousands of $$$$$, and all we want is a fema camper and enough money to get home to Waveland Ms.and get to work and help others start getting some sort of life back together.God help us all. we love you Waveland Ms. paul meacham& family

• Michael A. Barron says:

Iv see bad storms and this one tops them all.I hope that everyone one the coast can have an ok christmas because is not about gifts at all it is to celebrate JESUS’S Birthday.

• Michael A. Barron says:

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.

• seawitch says:

I could make out my brothers house behind the Grand Casino Hotel in Gulfport(the picture with the barge). His was the only one on his street south of the railroad tracks that did not have any water damage. Also, as far as the train tracks, it wasn’t only the tracks on the bridges that were damaged. The tracks starting in Biloxi going west toward Bay St Louis will have to be replaced/repaired. It been a long 4 months. It’s going to be a long time rebuilding.

• ryan keely says:

The shot of the Grand Casino in Gulfport is not of the casino itself. The barge on HWY 90 is the Grands nightclub barge. It contained the Voodoo Groove nightclub and a few other clubs. The casino is still in the same spot as it was before, but it has sunken in its spot.