US Gas Prices By County

I think I’ve linked to this before:

gas_by_county_070620.jpg

Get a better look at GasBuddy.com. Considering Murdoc’s recent trip to Maine and back to Michigan, this certainly looks right. Particularly the higher prices in New York.

What Murdoc would really like to see is a map like this that shows:

• Gas prices (like this map)
  • Gas prices minus taxes
  • Taxes

I don’t know for sure, but Murdoc’s betting that the final option would explain a lot of yellow and red counties.

Not that I’m opposed to gas taxes. In fact, the gas tax is one tax that I don’t have a whole lot of trouble with. But if we’re all going to be up in arms over gas prices, which seems like a rational reaction at times, let’s at least consider the whole picture.

Comments

• C-Low says:

Murc I would bet that your fist map and your last map would look exacltey the same and the middle map would be all the same color pretty much.

C-Low: I would have agreed, but do Montana, Idaho, and New Mexico really have more taxes than Massachusetts or New Jersey?

• Phelps says:

I’m waiting to hear the first reports of people bootlegging gasoline into NY and Chicago.

• Brian says:

Wisconsin has this deal where you are forbade from selling gas less than .09 cents above wholesale. This was intended – way back in 1935 – to enable small mom ‘n pop gas stations to compete with the gas companies. Of course … there aren’t any mom and pop stores left. They’re all chains now so we’re protecting groups of franchise stores from … each other. It doesn’t explain the lower gas prices in some of the border counties. Have to look into that.

• Ya’ll come on down to SC where the gas is cheap and the women…don’t talk to me.

• Johnk says:

western yellow vs. midwest and eastern green Differences: Wide-open spaces Less available public transportation Greater reluctance to use available public transportation Lack of refineries Rocky Mountains and/or Panama Canal as transportation obstacles between wide-open spaces and refinery locations (don’t know what kind of pipeline systems exist, however) This doesn’t really apply to upper mid-west (Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota) The rest of it is probably light green because of the river system (Mississippi, Missouri, etc). But between the rivers and the Great Lakes, you’d think they’d be fairly green too. Maybe it’s intermodal and therefore more expensive to move. Besides, I think it is less the price of gasoline as a whole as much as it is the rate of increase. How quickly it increases, how slowly it decreases, and the fact that it rarely, if ever, returns to the pre-increase level. Store-bought water and other similar items are MUCH more expensive than gasoline, but they are not as price volatile and no one thinks twice about it. Just some thoughts. Written as a native Clevelander who was in his thirties when he left to move to LA/Seattle/Portland twenty years ago. IMHO, there is a huge difference in the way people west of the Rockies think relative to the rest of the country. Much more ‘go-it-alone’. John

• John says:

The other point I wanted to make about volatility is the fact that taxes are not a part of that. John

Heck, When I got my ‘Jersey’ driver’s license back in the dark ages gas was between 25 & 27 cents a gallon. Course, I was only making 90 bucks for a (50 hour) week.

• Blair says:

Montana has ~27 cents per gallon state tax on gasoline. We’ve got a lot of roads to maintain. However, we have a refinery in Billings, a lot of our oil comes from Wyoming and Canada (supposedly from the Alberta Province), so I don’t understand why our fuel is so stinking high. Except that they can…

Screw the gas companies and OPEC! Check out this little non-gas powered beauty: http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php Anyone got 100-grand to lend me?

• C-Low says:

Their taxes probably are not that great but all gas would have to be trucked or railed in. The Ohio River valled to mid west are are held by the Missisipi barges. Idoho, Montana, Nevada probably are being trucked over the mountains from Cali and New Mexico trucked from Texas/Lousisana.