Friday Linkzookery – 24 Feb 2012

Man in Afghan army uniform kills 2 U.S. troops
Mohammad Hassan, an official in Nangarhar province where the shooting took place, said the two Americans were shot by an Afghan soldier after soldiers fired in the air to disperse protesters outside a U.S. base in the Khogyani district.

U.S. Army Plans Post-War Management of Stryker Fleet
Trying to decide about how to implement the double-V hull versions into the fleet and what to do about the MGS.

Senate Passes Payroll Tax Extension, Gas Price Increase Has Already Offset Benefits
Tax cuts do NOT “add to the deficit.” You can only add to the deficit by spending.

Radical Animal Rights Activist Arrested for Soliciting Undercover Hitman ‘Willing to Kill Someone Wearing Fur’
Meredith Lowell “offered him $730 in jewelry or cash for the killing of a victim of at least 12 years but “preferably 14 years old or older” outside a library near a playground in her hometown.”

Lockheed readies aggressive F-35 test schedule
Trying to hang on.

KC-130J Harvest HAWK gets pressurized launcher
Crews no longer have to depressurize the aircraft and lower the cargo ramp to fire Griffin missiles as a new pressurized, standoff precision precision-guided munitions launcher has been installed.

Stamp price hike part of Postal Service plan to cut losses
Murdoc yawns about the move to 50 cent postal rates…it will get them to go under just that much quicker.

Lugar: Earmarks a “Bogus Issue”
Congressman says congressional earmarks are not a problem. Go figure.

5 Biggest Whoppers In Obama’s Energy Speech
What he delivered was a grab bag of excuses and outright falsehoods.

Obama’s Double Talk on Sky-High Gas Prices
When gas prices hit $4 a gallon in 2008, candidate Barack Obama said it was due to previous failed energy policies. Now that prices are heading still higher, President Obama calls it progress.

More Linkzookery below!

Aren’t High Gas Prices What Democrats Want?
I don’t know about “Democrats,” but I’ve had lots of liberal types (who vote Dem) tell me that higher gas prices are just what America needs.

AFA: Cutting C-27J was a ‘particularly’ tough choice
The C-27J started as an Army program aimed at providing on-demand tactical airlift or important supplies to troops at remote combat bases. The Air Force eventually took over the effort, promising to dedicate the C-27s to that very mission. However, the service just announced that it will retire its brand new fleet of JCAs in order to save cash.

Fracking Doesn’t Harm Drinking Water, Study Says
Probably needs more study, of course, but it doesn’t sound anything like the opponents make it sound. As usual.

Distorting the Economy Is the Whole Point
Distorting the economy is not, as NPR suggests, an unwanted side effect of Obama’s proposals; it is his avowed aim, because he thinks he knows how resources should be distributed better than the market does.

The compression of generations – 25 million adults live at home with parents because they’re unemployed or underemployed
This seems to be a growing trend and Murdoc wonders if it will change a lot when the economy gets back on track.

GOP candidate says she wants to kick Santorum ‘in the jimmy’
And this is news? Everyone knows that threats of sexual violence are okay if made by women.

Sunshine, Vitamin D, and Death by Scientific Consensus
Old but good: As was the (now corrected) case with omega-3 fats, the “consensus” on sunlight exposure has badly misled us towards massive vitamin D deficiencies.

Obama calls black museum symbol for all Americans
That’s stupid.

Spain sending military planes to retrieve treasure
Two Spanish C-130s will pick up the $500 million worth of treasure from the Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes.

Buyers holding onto new cars for nearly six years – longer than ever before
Murdoc only buys used cars. His family has one 2005 (owned for nearly 5 years) and one 1998 (owned for more than 10).

Comments

• 11 Bravo says:

Re the Stryker: I know you like this vehicle. But I just can’t get excited about a modern infantry carrier that doesn’t have a 25mm cannon or higher.

• 11 Bravo says:

Re: Buyers holding onto cars longer. Thanks for that link. I have been having discussions with friends for years about this topic, but I had no hard data. This will come in handy in my discussions about the effects of buyers delaying their decision to buy new vehicles.

My 1998 car is about to give out. Can’t complain as I spent less than $6500 on it in 2001 and it hasn’t needed a whole lot of work over the years. Looking at the cost of replacements is making me sick. I suspect that the Cash for Clunkers program (which my 1998 car was ineligible for) has a lot to do with it.

• 11 Bravo says:

Re: black museum.

I never thought I’d say this, but the time has come for a European history month and a European museum to highlight the achievements of European Americans. I mean if there is going to be a black history month, hispanic history month, and now a Jewish history month, why not one for the people who created this place?

• buckethead says:

11b, that would be what we used to call, “History”

Murdoc, I’m with you – I have a 99 suburban and a 01 XTerra. And an 86 Yamaha Virago. In Virginia, old saves you hundreds a year on car taxes, too.

I’m going to need to replace the Nissan soon, though, and trying to figure out what to get that seats two adults and four kids and isn’t as big as a suburban.

b,

I still have the same Pathfinder I took to your place lo those many years ago.

It’s an ’03 I got new in ’04 with ~13 miles on it. It’s now scraping 160,000. Oil changes, tune ups, I replace parts that wear out (the odd belt, etc), but otherwise it’s fine. So far.

I keep it because I can’t afford something comparable but newer. No complex economic mystery. Besides, I like it.

• jaymaster says:

It needs to be said that cars are built SO much better these days (especially American ones), that they just last a whole lot longer.

There is no reason other than vanity to replace them as often as we did in the 90’s and earlier.

Planned obsolescence was a strategy that Detroit fought long and hard to hold onto. But we’re all better off without it.

That’s a good point, Jaymaster. Even my cheapo Chevy Cavalier has done well for 14 years. As long as the owner puts a little effort into care, most cars SHOULD last much longer. It used to be that 100,000 miles was pretty much the kiss of death, but no more.

MO,

Of course there were always exceptions, right? My uncle had an old Granada. I believe it was a ’76, ’77. Thing just flat out wouldn’t die through normal use. I think stump jumping finally killed it, with ~276k on the odo.

But yeah my firsthand experience lends me to put little faith in American cars. Come to think of it my Jetta sh!t out on me at about 70k, too…