In the WaPo, who must be smelling blood in the water:
A detailed comparison by The Washington Post of memos obtained by CBS News with authenticated documents on Bush’s National Guard service reveals dozens of inconsistencies, ranging from conflicting military terminology to different word-processing techniques.
The analysis shows that half a dozen Killian memos released earlier by the military were written with a standard typewriter using different formatting techniques from those characteristic of computer-generated documents. CBS’s Killian memos bear numerous signs that are more consistent with modern-day word-processing programs, particularly Microsoft Word.
Of more than 100 records made available by the 147th Group and the Texas Air National Guard, none used the proportional spacing techniques characteristic of the CBS documents. Nor did they use a superscripted “th” in expressions such as “147th Group” and or “111th Fighter Intercept Squadron.”
And near and dear to my own heart:
In a CBS News broadcast Friday night rebutting allegations that the documents had been forged, Rather displayed an authenticated Bush document from 1968 that included a small “th” next to the numbers “111” as proof that Guard typewriters were capable of producing superscripts. In fact, say Newcomer and other experts, the document aired by CBS News does not contain a superscript, because the top of the “th” character is at the same level as the rest of the type. Superscripts rise above the level of the type.
I pointed this out right after the CBS telecast and have a screenshot of the comparison. Dan Rather and CBS News thought we were idiots.
Apparently, they still do:
In its broadcast last night, CBS News produced a new expert, Bill Glennon, an information technology consultant. He said that IBM electric typewriters in use in 1972 could produce superscripts and proportional spacing similar to those used in the disputed documents.
Any argument to the contrary is “an out-and-out lie,” Glennon said in a telephone interview. But Glennon said he is not a document expert, could not vouch for the memos’ authenticity and only examined them online because CBS did not give him copies when asked to visit the network’s offices.
By Friday afternoon, after refusing to name sources or authenticating experts and claiming that the questions raised in the memos were more important than the authenticity of the memos, CBS News had reached the bottom of the hole. Friday evening, Dan Rather broke out the shovel and began digging. Over the weekend they reached bedrock. Apparently not deterred, CBS News is now working to blast their way through even that.
The more they deny that these are forgeries, the more egg they’re going to have to clean off their face when they admit that they are.
And all because of a bunch of us sitting around in our pajamas.