Caerdroia has an excellent summary of the different possible explanations for our recent proposals to the UN. He lists
- We really did/will cave politically for foreign-policy reasons.
- We really did/will cave politically for domestic reasons.
- We really don’t think we can increase the size of the military.
- We are preparing for action elsewhere.
- We are trying to make the UN irrelevant.
- We are trying to destroy the UN.
- We are trying to move towards the Afghan model.
- We are trying to create political cover for other nations.
- We are trying to lift the perception of weakness without making sacrifices.
- This is one of those strange political circle jerks.
There’s a good rundown on the reasoning behind each. About the last is
Frankly, that’s where I’d put my bet.
Well, there’s certainly a fair amount of that going on. Check it out. It’s certainly worth a read.