That was more difficult than it should have been…Pt. II

I mentioned last week that I had trouble getting the PHONE NUMBER that I needed call to cancel my subscription to MSN dial-up service. They told me to call back to verify my cancellation. I did so today and learned that, although they had a record of my call and the confirmation number they gave me, my service had NOT been cancelled. That’s nice.

After making sure that my service was indeed cancelled, the “specialist” asked if I used MSN8 software. When I told him that I didn’t, he offered to mail me a CD so that I could install the software and use it when on the internet for only $9.95 per month. (He did mention, however, that the CD would ship for free.) I declined. Thanks, anyway.

So now I guess I need to call back next week to verify that my verification call worked.