I’ve wanted to write a few notes on the State of the Union speech, but I haven’t had time. I’ve barely even looked at other bloggers’ reactions. Here are a few random thoughts, which I may add to if others pop up:
- It doesn’t matter how much we cut our dependance on Middle Eastern oil. Middle Eastern oil prices will affect US energy prices because oil is a commodity and Middle Eastern oil feeds into the same supply and demand equation as everyone else’s.
- We’re adicted to “energy”, not oil. He mentioned nuclear power, but why not an initiative for 50 new nuclear power plants in the next ten years?
- Was he soft on Iran, or was it “soft talk, big stick”? I’m not sure.
- The GOP should publish a list and link to video of those applauding the fact that Bush’s Social Security plan was voted down
- I’m not pro-human cloning, but I’m skeptical that he’s correct about standing so firm on the genetics issue
- Did I miss the part about the fifty-foot-tall wall along the Mexican border and the creation of the Border Brigade in the Army? If that wasn’t part of the speech, nothing he said about immigration matters one damn bit
- I believe that he handled the NSA listening issue pretty well
- I really wish that ethanol worked…but I’m skeptical
- I almost blew milk out my nose when he said he planned to cut the deficit in half by 2009…and I wasn’t even drinking milk at the time