Well done!

Troops free three Western hostages in Iraq

US and British forces rescued three aid workers kidnapped in November:

British officials in Baghdad said those freed were Canadians James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32; and Briton Norman Kember, 74. The men — members of a Chicago-based Christian peace activist group — were kidnapped on Nov. 26 along with their American colleague, Tom Fox, 54, whose body was found earlier this month.

UPDATE: Here’s the Christian Peacemaker Teams official press release: CPTers Released.

“Released”? I do not think that word means what you think it means…

Stop the ACLU has more.

UPDATE 2: Call me cynically suspicious, but I’m a bit leery of the media reports on this incident. On MSNBC.com, for instance, it is front and center and headlined “DRAMATIC RESCUE”.

Why do I have a nagging fear that the operation maybe wasn’t quite as it is now being reported? Why do I fear that some in the media know this and are playing up the “dramatic rescue” bit just so they can pull the rug out from underneath the story when if/when the story changes? Why do I suspect that they would play up a heroic rescue mission today just to tear it apart tomorrow or next week or next year?

I hate being so jaded. But, sadly, I don’t think it’s totally unwarranted.

(For the record, I am not predicting that this is some sort of set up or deception. On anyone’s part. Just noting a potential angle here.)

UPDATE 3: The Jawa Report and Michelle Malkin have much, much more.

Comments

  1. Murdoc, I do believe we have something in common. We both KNOW the MSM will go to any lengths to ‘spin’ the actual events to suit their Anti-Bush, Anti-war, Anti-Conservative agenda!

  2. They don’t have to, look up what the jerks that were rescued are saying. ‘Illigal Multinational occupation of Iraq caused the conditions that allowed our kidnapping’ ‘We need to end the occupation’ No bleeping mention of the soldiers that put thier lives on the line to save thier a$$es from the guys that murdered their friend. I say give them back.

  3. Note: MG Lynch was refusing to put out much details due to ‘operational security on ONGOING operations’. He also characterized this as a ‘kidnaping cell’ and refused to comment on any operations or status of Jill Caroll ‘at this time’. The text leaves out too much body language communications and is edited way to heavy. Watch the brief…

  4. BBC news 24 here in the UK kept going on about this story this morning. It is a good rescue and probably a good one, with no casualties including the hostage takers, may give a wealth of info. It was said that these people acted like a criminal gang – or so a hostage was heard saying. Then again I don’t know how he would know the difference. There was even a former Guantanamo Bay member who spoke out against the hostage takers – saying that they were the wrong people to take hostage (ie. take a defence contractor, was what he probably meant) Weird story, lots of people wrote in messages mainly saying (newsreaders read them out) that they were stupid for going into the country in the first place. It is getting so messed up, I don’t even see what side the media tried to take on this story. I guess time will tell.