I’ve been trying to keep an eye on this story since I first bacame aware of it, but the lack of much in the way of solid info makes it hard to know what to think. Now, the BREAKING NEWS headline at MSNBC.com says an Al Qaeda-linked website claims abduction of two US servicemen. [UPDATE: Story now available here.]
I think it’s pretty safe to say that these are the same two servicemen they’re talking about, whether they really have them or not. As the two went missing on Friday and haven’t been heard from since, it’s also pretty safe to say that something unusual has happened, whether the men were captured, killed, or who knows what.
I had been hoping that this would be another Barbie doll situation, but it’s not looking good. I said to a friend not too long ago that we had been fortunate in the sense that the bad guys hadn’t managed to put together a long parade of captured troops for the cameras and knives. The only missing US soldier since the destruction of Saddam Hussein’s regime has been US Army Sgt. Keith Maupin, captured in 2004 and allegedly killed. He’s still listed as MIA.
US and Iraqi troops are beating bushes and kicking doors looking for our guys. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.