Pelosi on the war

A Voter Rebuke For Bush, the War And the Right

In Nancy Pelosi’s victory speech last night:

“We cannot continue down this catastrophic path. And so we say to the president, ‘Mr. President, we need a new direction in Iraq. Let us work together to find a solution to the war in Iraq.’ ”

Also, there’s this from exit polls:

Fifty-six percent of voters support withdrawing some or all U.S. troops from Iraq, which will embolden Democrats pushing for a pullout.

Only 56%? What the Hades is wrong with the other 44%? Everyone should support “withdrawing some or all U.S. troops from Iraq”. The proviso being, of course, that they’ve completed their mission. This article doesn’t say what the question was and what the answers were about the mission.

I supported withdrawing some or all US troops from Somalia in 1993. But not when and how and why we did it. Look what that got us. (And, while you’re at it, look at Somalia today. Don’t think US troops haven’t been back and won’t be back again.)

What’s very likely to happen here is that, even if we continue to “stay the course” according to the current strategy, Democrats are going to be able to claim that they brought the troops home. As noted earlier, the current state and planning for the Iraqi army looks to be set up in order to get the majority of US troops home by the end of 2007.

Keep in mind that Murdoc thinks we will have a large number of troops based in Iraq for years or even decades. If we pull them out for political reasons, I fear that we will have wasted a lot of what we’ve worked so hard to accomplish so far.

Meanwhile, don’t forget what Pelosi said about Afghanistan in June of 2005:

Mrs. Pelosi said it is past time that the administration established a policy on determining the fates of the detainees at U.S. Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, arguing that most are from Afghanistan and that the conflict there has ended.

I assume that the war in Afghanistan is over, or is the contention that you have that it continues?” she said to a reporter.

A few moments later, she said: “This isn’t about the duration of the war. The war in Afghanistan is over.” [emphasis Murdoc’s]

The next day,

American aircraft bombarded a rebel hide-out with missiles and bombs, killing up to 76 insurgents in one of the deadliest battles since the Taliban’s ouster more than three years ago, officials said Wednesday.

This past year in Afghanistan has been particularly violent, as Taliban forces and other terrorist and outlaw groups continue their attempts to dominate the country.

In a response to a reader’s comment on that post, I wrote:

I DO think that the ball is rolling in the right direction in both Iraq and Afghanistan and that it would take some pretty significant developments to derail the march toward democracy. But one of those significant developments could be the early withdrawal of too many US troops because too many people think the “war is over”.

I sure hope Nancy Pelosi realizes the war in Iraq isn’t over yet.

Comments

  1. Pelosi in June: ‘The war in Afghanistan is over.’ Pelosi on October 22: ‘The war on terror is the war in Afghanistan’ [as oposed to Iraq] Can anyone explain?

  2. 1. She is not consistent. 2. Or else, she is telling whatever she assumes is better for her to say. 3. Or she has no idea what she is talking about.