Tech Level C in Traveller:
The GP-219 Gauss Pistol is a self-contained, two-stage coil gun:
- Two coils are precisely pulsed in sequence (350 Amp peak) to fire a steel projectile
- Two infrared sensors detect the projectile position within the firing tube
- Controlled by a PIC microcontroller
- Powered by 8 AA NiCd battery pack
- Built-in battery charger
- Bar display tracks capacitor bank charge progress
- Battery and Fault LED indicators
- Laser targeting sight
- Makes no sound when fired
Much more info, many more pictures, and even movies at the developer’s site. He says he will be offering plans, parts, and kits by next April.
FWIW, I’m a believer in the future of this technology. And have been since I played Traveller as a kid. Very cool, though it will be a long, long time before something like this supplants gunpowder firearms.