An article in Today’s Tacoma News-Tribune has this quick rundown of the current status of the Army’s seven Stryker Brigade Combat Teams (SBCT):
- The 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division from Fort Lewis is now in Baghdad on its second deployment to Iraq. It was the initial Stryker brigade to see action, in 2003-04.
- The 2nd Cavalry Regiment — previously the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division from Fort Lewis — is stationed in Germany. As the 1-25, the brigade spent a year in Iraq in 2004-05.
- The 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, stationed in Alaska, recently reflagged as the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division and is resetting after returning in December from a 15-month deployment in Iraq.
- The 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division will leave Fort Lewis next month for Iraq.
- The 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division is in the early stages of development at Fort Lewis.
- The 2nd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii is converting from light infantry to a Stryker brigade, although its development is tied up in a federal court lawsuit brought by environmentalists who oppose Stryker training in the islands.
- The 56th Brigade of the Pennsylvania National Guard is scheduled to complete its transformation to a Stryker brigade in 2008.
The 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division will be reflagged as the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division when the current 2nd Brigade is inactivated late this year.
When the 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division deploys to Iraq next month, it will be the first unit to deploy with the Stryker Mobile Gun System (MGS). Troops have been waiting for the firepower of the 105mm gun for over three years.
U.S. Army soldiers assigned with Company B, 2nd Battalion, 23rd Infantry, train on the Stryker Mobile Gun System from James Spicer, an instructor from General Dynamics Land Systems. U.S. Army photo by Jason Kaye
Originally posted in September.
Information Liberation took Michael Gilbert’s Tacoma News-Tribune article entitled New Stryker boasts plenty of firepower and renamed it The Military’s New Depleted Uranium Killing Machine. Classy.