National Guard brigades alerted for deployment to Iraq in the summer of 2009:
- 32nd Brigade Combat Team, Wisconsin National Guard
- 41st Brigade Combat Team, Oregon National Guard
- 155th Brigade Combat Team, Mississippi National Guard
And here are two more headed to Afghanistan:
- 48th Brigade Combat Team, Georgia National Guard
- 53rd Brigade Combat Team Florida National Guard
I really think that everything possible must be done to avoid deploying National Guard units any more than is absolutely necessary. I don’t agree with those that claim this is a misuse of the Guard, and in fact believe that it is exactly what the Guard is for. But continued use this way is going to hurt the organization in the long run far more than the active service.
I know that they’re working to slowly increase the end strength of the Army and Marines, but I don’t think the increases are large enough.