Pics of Damaged USS Hartford

The other day the story about a collision between the attack sub USS Hartford (SSN 768) and the amphibious assault ship USS New Orleans (LPD 18) made the news. Here’s a couple of pics I found of the damaged Hartford heading into port (reportedly Bahrain, which would make sense.)

Notice the cracks where the sail meets the hull.

Notice the cracks where the sail meets the hull.

And here’s another, showing just how badly the sail took it:

That\'s not going to be cheap to fix.

That's not going to be cheap to fix.

This looks like it was a lot more serious that it first sounded. You can see the USS New Orleans already in port in the background.

Pics from THIS forum.

Comments

• Captain Ned says:

Well, that’s the end to at least 2 US Navy careers.

• Kristopher says:

Yep .. both skippers regardless, and then the inquiry starts hunting for more heads.

• James says:

Its a good thing that it was the USS New Orleans and not the USS San Antonio. I don’t the San Antonio would of survived….then again that may not be a bad thing…

• Mike D. says:

Can they every really fix that much damage ? Don’t know if I would ever want to go on a cruise knowing what had happened to the boat.

• Captain Ned says:

If they fixed SSN-711 San Fransicso (they did), they’ll fix Hartford:

*sigh* OK, if no one else is gonna say it:

“Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he’s got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.”

• Captain Ned says:

Aloha, Mr. Hand,

What Jefferson was saying was, Hey! You know, we left this England place ’cause it was bogus; so if we don’t get some cool rules ourselves – pronto – we’ll just be bogus too! Get it?

They’ll fix Hartford just like they fixed San Fran. The only variable is the career count.

Other stuff I’ve read imply that the hit to the sail was secondary damage. Since New Orleans lost 25,000 gallons of fuel, the thinking is that one of Hartford’s bow planes ripped open New Orleans’ hull, that being the only way to vent so much fuel so quickly.

And, in closing, I must quote my all-time favorite band:

I had my hands in the river
    My feet back up on the banks
    Looked up to the Lord above and said hey man thanks
    Sometimes I feel so good I gotta scream
    She says Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
    She said, she said I swear to God she said

My memory is muddy what’s this river that I’m in
    New Orleans is sinking man and I don’t want to swim

Apologies to the crew of LPD-18; I’m sure they’ve heard this already.

• Wild Bill says:

Apparently the USS New Orleans is stealthier than what the Navy thought….HA

• QM3 (SS) says:

Those boys will be riding the surface back to the states. You know the scopes are screwed big time.

• HT3(sw) says:

Well plenty of work went it to the emergent repairs. They will get the work when she gets back stateside.