This beauty hangs in the Public Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan:
The Driggs Aircraft Company of Lansing, Michigan, built only twenty-one Skylark biplanes between 1929 and 1931. Most of them were used in Western Michigan and Northern Indiana for training pilots, stunts in airshows, or carrying passengers on short business and pleasure trips. The Skylark was the favored aircraft of Northern Air Service, Central Air Service, and the Kent and Impala Flying Clubs, all based at the old Kent County Airport.
Even though its economic success was cut short by the Great Depression, the Skylark represented a leap forward in light aircraft technology. The lightweight canvas over frame design (less than 1,000 pounds with the engine) and more powerful engines were stable in the air, and allowed them to become airborne with shorter takeoff distances.
This is the only surviving production Skylark. It had a 96 h.p. engine that gave a top speed of 100 mph and a cruising range of 300 miles.
Murdoc took this photo this past weekend. A couple of more views below: